Friday, March 27, 2009

Unity of the body

Four weeks ago I am having the time of my life playing basketball at the local YMCA. After only two games, someone hit me in the back of my foot with a baseball bat, or so it seemed. My team mates helped me to the side line and I was convinced my Achilles tendon had ruptured.


The MRI results showed some tearing but the tendon, for the most part is in place. My doctor expects me to recover in the next 6-8 weeks. It's amazing how an injury to this little band of fibrous tissue has totally altered my mobility.

What's true for the human body is also true for body of Christ. The apostle Paul advises, For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body...If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. I Corinthians 12: 14, 15, 26



As your pastor, called to preach the gospel and shepherd God's people at First Pres. I have this dream that one day our congregation will get it. Every member is important. When members withdraw from the fellowship the church loses some of its mobility; it limps.


If you have been away from the fellowship of God's family it's time to come home. If we are to be a healthy, loving church in heart of New Castle, every person, every gift, every heart, is important!