Thursday, April 9, 2009

Can you hear ME now?

There are only two ways to gain knowledge about God. If this sounds narrow minded, I did not arrive at this conclusion based on my opinion. If you don't believe me, stop what you are doing and read Psalm 19. You can't miss it; it is as clear as the nose on your face!

God speaks through his creation, as in, "the heavens declare the glory of God and the sky above proclaims his handiwork." Creation tells a message about its Maker. Those who are observant will hear the voice of God.

God also speaks directly through his perfect Torah (Instructions). Think Moses on Mt. Sinai; think bible, words of Jesus, Old and New Testaments.

Both are important: the heavens declare a rather general message about God. If you want to learn specific things about God, his love, mercy, holiness, don't just listen to nature, listen to his voice through Scripture. Scripture is much more specific about God, Christ, Spirit, human beings, sin, salvation, and the end of all things.

Here's the million dollar question: why does contact with God's word transform some people and leave other people cold?

Here's my answer, and I would love to hear yours: the reason why the word of God has such limited impact on church goers has to do with desire for God. The deeper our desire and our need to know God, the deeper our engagement with God's word. What do you think? Are you in the Word? If you are, tell us how and why. If you are not, let's talk about your difficulties; we may be able to help and encourage each other.

Speaking God, my ears are clogged by the noise of my world: my earthly pursuits, entertainment, concerns, muffles your voice in my life. Forgive me. Help me to realize that without your words guiding my life, I cannot know you and I shrivel to the size of my empty, worldly life. Thank you that you are ever calling me back to your words and your life. Through your perfect words my soul will live! Amen