Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Friendship with God

Whenever I read the bible I am sometimes helped by an entire book, or a chapter, or even a word or phrase. The bible is the sum total of God's word to us, so we pay attention to everything we read.

Read through Psalm 25, notice its treasure trove of rich biblical wisdom. For example, look at the phrase in v.1, I lift up my soul. Lifting the soul up to God refers to longing, desire, to set the heart on, to be greedy/desirous of something. Like David, do we have a longing for God?

The other nugget that caught my eye is in v.14: the friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him. Friendship speaks of intimacy, fellowship, companionship. It blows my mind to think of God as friend. As a friend, God promises to instruct us in the way we should go. I love the richness of this thought. What in this Psalm speaks to you? Share a few of the passages for everyone's benefit!

Lord, through your son Jesus, you promised that you would call us your friend. You showed the deep dimensions of your love for us by laying down your life. Now Lord, I pray that you would help me and everyone who read these words to walk daily in intimate friendship with you. Thank you that all this is possible through your son Jesus Christ, our Savior, who lives and reigns with the Holy Spirit, amen.