Thursday, July 9, 2009
What is a healthy Church member? (pt. 4)
Reading the third mark of a healthy church confirmed something I have always believed:
The number one reason why mainline churches across America are in such decline is, we are not convinced that people's greatest need is to know God through Jesus Christ.
This explains our numerical decline
This explains our aversion to conversion of people's lives
This explains our lack of evangelical fervor
This explains why so many of our leaders and members have never had the joy of sharing the gospel with people who need Christ.
Apart from the gospel, the church has NOTHING to say - that is, nothing to say that cannot be said by some other human agency. The gospel distinguishes the church from the world, defines her message and mission to the world, and steels her people against the fiery darts of Satan.
How then do we at FPC become gospel saturated members?
1. We have to know the gospel. Unfortunately, many have a shallow understanding of the gospel
2. We must desire to hear the gospel and preach the gospel to ourselves
3. Order your life around the gospel - so that it animates every area of your life
4. Share the gospel with others. With urgency and love we must tell the non-Christians among us to repent of their sins and believe on Jesus Christ.
5. Guard the gospel- a healthy church member takes seriously the responsibility of guarding the gospel from corruption and abandonment.
Here's the question to pray and ponder: What strategies will you put into place to keep yourself thinking about, applying, and sharing the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ?
I'd like to hear from you!