Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fear and Faith


In Psalm 56 David running is and hiding from King Saul. As a safety measure, he decides to hide among the Philistines of Gath. While there, the servants of King Achish exposed his identity (1 Samuel 21:10-15). David was much afraid of Achish the King of Gath. He thought they were going to either kill him or hand him over to Saul.

In that moment of crisis, David prayed for God's grace to intervene and protect him from his enemies.Psalm 56: 1-2

In the very next breath he moves from fear to faith: When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me? Psalm 56: 3-4

Have you ever been so afraid that you felt your mind and body shutting down? What kind of circumstances are you going through right now that you think will defeat you?

Weaving in and out of the Psalm, David moves repeatedly from crisis to confidence in God. He faces his fear, names it, prays about it, and acts in a way that is counter to his fear. Psalm 56: 8-9

In the end, crippling fear is destroyed by robust theology: I know that God is for me, Psalm 56: 9. Sound theology comes from time in God's word. David finally shows in Psalm 56: 10-11,the relationship between trusting God and knowing his word. That's the key to ovecoming fear.

Gracious God, in these days when so many things are happening to induce fear and anxiety - a failing economy, personal debt, deadly viruses - help us to take our eyes off the circumstances and focus on your sovereignty as revealed in your precious Word. Amen