Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Jesus was not seeker sensitive

I am not trying to be controversial or insensitive, but I can't help but notice how Jesus' direct, demanding call on people's lives differs from our 21st century, low-grade, anemic, anything-goes approach to discipleship. John 6: 26-27,53-58

His demand to believe, turn from dependence on human ability, to complete reliance on His words caused many to turn back and no longer walk with him. John 6:66

I am so weak and wishy-washy. Deep down I would be troubled if people walked away from me or left the church. My need to be needed so clouds my ministry to people. I am least helpful as a pastor when my goal is to tell people what they want to hear. I am most effective when I give people the words of Jesus, not my words. I am most helpful when I serve the way Jesus served: he placed truth above popularity and human praise.

They say the truth hurts and I agree. If telling the truth results in people being offended, leave the church or become angry, I think I am doing faithful gospel ministry. What do you think? Is it possible to speak the truth and lead from this basis without people being offended? Would love to hear your thoughts.