Thursday, September 10, 2009

For God Alone I Wait


While in Jamaica a few weeks ago planning the funeral service for my father-in-law, we were overcome with a range of emotions. We battled anger, deep loss, disappointment, fear, tiredness, and anxiety.

During a season of prayer and casting the full weight of the situation on God, we were led to an oasis of truth that completely satisfied our thirst. God knows your name; God knows where you are and what you are going through.

I need you to slow down, or better, stop whatever you are doing and read Psalm 62: 1-12. See what you think. Isn't this a refreshing word from God?

On God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Psalm 62: 1-2

The same ideas are repeated in Ps. 62: 5-7
Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.

We leaned with all our might on these precious words and they kept us going and continue to reshape how we deal with all the challenges before us even to this very moment. We are confident that every moment of our lives is before Almighty God. Our greatest need is for our soul to unplug from the drugs and stimulants of our time and simply plug into God and wait for him.

Are you anxious? Distracted? Frustrated? Bitter? Angry? Overcome by a spirit of unforgiveness? Then wait in silence on God and allow his powerful presence to wash away the junk of sin and fill you with unspeakable joy, repose, and peace.

Lord, grant to each of us a longing and thirst to know you and be satisfied in you alone. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, amen.