Friday, December 11, 2009

Comfort in God's Word


I am currently reading through Randy Alcorn's book, If God is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil. The book has greatly encouraged me in my thinking about suffering and the goodness of God. The two are not incompatible as some have tried to suggest. The following is one of many thought provoking quotes contained in the book.

Martin Niemoller, a courageous German pastor, spent years in a concentration camp because he spoke against the ungodly influence that Adolf Hitler’s regime exerted on the German church. Neimoller later said about the Bible,

What did this book mean to me during the long and weary years of solitary confinement and then for the last four years at Dachau? The Word of God was simply everything to me- comfort and strength, guidance and hope, master of my days and companion of my nights, the bread which kept me from starvation and the water of life that refreshed my soul.