Saturday, December 31, 2011

The dark side of success


Sometimes success is harder to deal with than failure. Sounds weird doesn't it? Considering that most people long for success.

Who does not want a big job, with a big salary, so they can buy a big house and live a prosperous life?


Solomon had it all. God gave him wisdom, gold, silver, international fame, influence and power. Most of all Solomon had women: 700 wives and princess, and 300 hundred concubines (I Kings 11: 3). Unfortunately too much of a good thing ruined his devotion to God (I Kings 11:4).  

For a season, Solomon walked with God, and served God. But overtime he began to drift. A few compromises here and there and before he knew it, he stopped following God and paid more attention to what his many wives desired (I Kings 11: 7-8).


Solomon teaches us that we cannot rest on yesterday's blessings, or even yesterday's obedience. Every day is a new day to walk with God in the light of his word.

Solomon's downfall also teaches us about the enduring nature of God’s word. Remember the "if, then" statements? God said, "If you walk with me and obey my word, my precepts and my statutes as did your father David, then, I will bless you  and establish your reign (See 1 Kings 9: 4-5). But the same formula applied if he disobeyed the words of God: if you turn aside from following me, you or your children, and do not keep my commandments...and worship other gods, then I will cut off Israel from the land that I have given them (1 Kings 9:6-9). God’s word endures forever and does not diminish or change because circumstances change.

Why then did Solomon's season of blessing end? He turned away from the word of the Lord.

Almighty God calls us to daily obedience. May the Lord help us in 2012 to walk moment by moment in full-hearted devotion to his word.

Question: Do you agree that success is harder to deal with than failure? Why is this so?