Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Soul's Desire

Psalm 105: 3-4
Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice!
Seek the Lord and his strength;
seek his presence continually!

This is the longing of my heart. Something about these words have captured my heart
and thankfully will not let me go.

Seeking the Lord? Is the Lord lost,or is he hiding and now I have to find God, the way  I seek for my lost keys? Of course not!

I seek the Lord because he first sought me.

I seek the Lord because his love captured my heart.

I seek the Lord because I am lost.

I seek the Lord and his presence because I am weak. Remember the line in that hymn,
prone to wander, Lord I feel it; 
prone to leave the God I love...


I seek the Lord because knowing God keeps my feet at home in his courts.

I seek the Lord because His exquisite joy fills me up.

More than food, more than movies, more than books, more than anything in this world,
I seek the Lord and I am satisfied with good things and my strength is renewed.

I seek the Lord because I am a pastor. And being a pastor is complex.

I seek the Lord because God helps me unravel the complexities of being a pastor,
a husband, and a dad.

I seek the Lord because I love God. Religious showmanship diminishes integrity of heart.
God is not present in those moments when I succumb to religious pretensions.

God is not present when I focus on impressing people.

Seek the Lord and His strength.
Remember the wondrous works that he has done!

To the reader: Why do you seek the Lord? What difference does knowing God and being known by God make in your life?