Not quite. Your body, your soul, the total you matters to God. What one does with one's body/self has implications for this life and the life after. It is that serious. I Corinthians 6: 9-11
In the sexually charged city of Corinth Paul knew and loved the people of the church so much that he confronted them about their sexual practices. But he had to wade through their distorted views about the body and sexual practice.
Greek thinking promoted a rather negative view of the body. One Greek proverb went this way: "The body is a tomb." Epictetus (stoic philosopher) said: "I am a poor soul shackled to a corpse."
By denigrating and trivializing the human body the next logical step was to believe that what one does in this life with the body is inconsequential. In fact the progressives among them said, “Let’s feast and drink, for tomorrow we die!” I Corinthians 15: 32
Paul responds, “Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.” Think carefully about what is right, and stop sinning. For to your shame I say that some of you don’t know God at all. I Corinthians 15: 33-34
Here’s what Scripture encourages as the most helpful way to think about our bodies:
- Your body and sex: But you can’t say that our bodies were made for sexual immorality. They were made for the Lord, and the Lord cares about our bodies. I Corinthians 6:13
- Your body and the after-life: God will raise us from the dead by his power, just as he raised our Lord from the dead. I Corinthians 6:14
- Your Body and Jesus: Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? Should a man take his body, which is part of Christ, and join it to a prostitute? Never! I Corinthians 6:15
- Your Body is a worship center: Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? I Corinthians 6:19
- Your Body has an owner: for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. I Corinthians 6:20
Until we understand that the body or the self belongs to God, matters of abortion, fornication, homosexuality, adultery, incest, and other sexual distortions will forever be defended as a personal right instead of offered up to God in full surrender.