Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A song for all seasons


The Deer's Cry

I arise today through the strength of heaven 
Light of sun, radiance of moon 
Splendor of fire, speed of lightning 
Swiftness of wind, depth of the sea 
Stability of earth, firmness of rock 

I arise today through God's strength to pilot me 
God's eye to look before me 
God's wisdom to guide me 
God's way to lie before me 
God's shield to protect me 

From all who shall wish me ill 
Afar and a-near 
Alone and in a multitude 
Against every cruel, merciless power 
That may oppose my body and soul 

Christ with me, Christ before me 
Christ behind me, Christ in me 
Christ beneath me, Christ above me 
Christ on my right, Christ on my left 
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down 
Christ when I arise, Christ to shield me 

Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me 
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me 

I arise today

"Lisa Kelly quoting the Breastplate prayer of St. Patrick"