Thursday, September 27, 2012

The cost of family violence

He who does violence to his father and chases away his mother
is a son (or daughter) who brings shame and reproach. Proverbs 19:26

Proverbs is one of my favorite books in the bible because it is loaded with practical wisdom for daily living. Consider reading a chapter each day and in 31 days you will finish the entire book.

The verse above is an example of the wisdom of this great book. Long before family violence became the epidemic that it is today, the writer of Proverbs recognized the causes, the consequences and what must be done to avoid this sinful scourge.

My father died about sixteen years ago and I wish he was still with me. During my teen years I did not have a harmonious relationship with my father. But when I became a follower of Christ, I realized that by honoring my father and mother, I was honoring the Lord. Becoming a believer renovated my attitude toward my parents. I would do anything to have another chance to honor my father. I know that one day I will see him in glory and this gives me great joy.

My mother is still with us and I am grateful to God for the many opportunities I have to simply express my gratitude to her and thank her for loving me.

If your parents are alive I encourage you to do everything in your power to honor them, thank them, and bless them.