Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Solomon's Bucket List

Did you see the movie, The Bucket List? The story is about two men who know they are about to die from cancer. But instead of resigning themselves to their fate, they escape from the hospital, and hit the road determined to complete a list of things they always wanted but never took the time to actually do.

They did things like sky dive, drive a race car, travel across the country and reconcile with loved ones.

The movie resonated with many people and the "bucket list" phenomenon is now a common part of our vocabulary.

I enjoyed watching the movie but it was void of one key truth for human existence: a relationship with Jesus Christ. What does it profit to have lived one's bucket list; accomplished one's dreams; fulfilled one's fantasies and then fail in the most important item on the list...a relationship with Jesus Christ?

Reading through Proverbs, I found Solomon's bucket list. His list was mostly concerned with never missing the goal of life. God, before things. For him, God was the goal of life; honoring God was his ultimate purpose. Here's his bucket list...

Two things I ask of you;
deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
and say, “Who is the LORD?”
or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God.
Proverbs 30:7-9

What's your bucket list?