Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What God cares about

 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
  but the LORD weighs the heart.
 To do righteousness and justice
  is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.
Proverbs 21:2-3

We have to remember that God cares more about the make up of our inner life than our penchant for self-justification. Through our eyes, we find ways to rationalize our actions; we find ways to project the right image of ourselves to others.

This is such a superficial way to live. And while others cannot see the depth of our inner lives, God sees and knows. God examines us in ways that others can't.

God cares whether or not we live an ethical life. Living a life marked with justice and righteousness is more desireable to God than all the religious sacrifices we make for Him.

God told disobedient Saul,
Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
as in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
and to listen than the fat of rams, I Samuel 15:22
 
And then Micah, working with the  same theme, asks,
 “With what shall I come before the LORD,
  and bow myself before God on high?
 Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
  with calves a year old?
 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
  with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
 Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
  the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
 He has told you, O man, what is good;
  and what does the LORD require of you
 but to do justice, and to love kindness,
  and to walk humbly with your God?

(Micah 6:6-8)
 
Don't worry about impressing people; focus on giving glory to God!