Thursday, April 11, 2013

How to behave when God speaks


When the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, he tore his clothes. 2 Kings 22:11

Words are powerful. Think about the time you heard someone say to you, "I love you!"
Or the time when someone said belittling, scornful, and hate-filled words to you. How did those words make you feel?

Someone said that a word is like a living organism, capable of growing, changing, spreading, and influencing the world in many ways, directly and indirectly through others. 

Today's short text is graphic. A powerful king, undoubtedly surrounded by guards, personal assistants, wealth and seclusion is unable to shield himself from the searching, probing, and powerful word of God. 

What did he hear? He heard God's displeasure over the callous sins of his nation and he heard God's plan to punish his nation. 

He tore his expensive robe out of sorrow, fear, and as an act of repentance. Like a search light, God's word exposed the hidden and public sins of the king and the people of Judah.

Personal and national revival started because of the power of God's word (Read 2 Kings 22-23 for details).

In churches throughout North America, God's word is opened and read week after week. How should we behave when we hear the word of God in church this weekend or in our personal time with God?

Revere: Do I give more attention to the words of a famous athlete or entertainer? Do I remind myself that I am in the presence of Almighty God? 

Prepare: Am I distracted? Have I weaned my soul from all the people places and things that divide my attention? Do I sit humbly and openly, asking God to speak to me?

Repair: What is broken in my life? What sin do I need to repent of? What is misaligned in my life and displeasing to God?


For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable (Hebrews 4:12-13 NLT).


Why are we so unresponsive to God's word?